One of the biggest issues with aging is the effect it has on our bodies. As we age, so too do our limbs, organs, hair, and smile. We often believe our teeth are immune to the effects of age, but they will begin to wear down and deteriorate as we get older. Fortunately, if you take diligent care of them and ensure they are always clean, they can last a lifetime.
For a better understanding of the basics of aging and dental health, listed below are principles concerning aging and dental health:
– As you age, brushing with a traditional toothbrush can be arduous. If traditional flossing is causing you problems, switch to an alternative interdental cleaner such as a water flosser.
– Avoid unhealthy habits that increase their damage to your oral health as you age, including eating sugary foods, smoking or chewing tobacco, and using drugs, even recreational ones.
– Brush your teeth at least once every day with an effect toothbrush and floss your teeth at least once per day with a shred-resistant floss or approved interdental tool.
– Set aside a time for a professional cleaning with your dentist at least twice per year, and don’t hesitate to visit us for any checkups you may require.
– Your teeth may wear down over time due to the wear and tear of aging, so exercise caution when chewing tough or hard foods that can potentially crack your chip your teeth.
If you are looking to protect your teeth as you age, or enhance your smile further, contact Dr. Todd Eder and our team at Brownsburg Family Dental Care. We can be reached by calling us at 317-852-4593 to book a reservation to see us at our office in Brownsburg, Indiana. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.